Getting Greener Everyday!
Ipswich Sustainable Education (ISE) partners with Friends of Ipswich Elementary Schools (FRIES) to promote 'green initiatives'; to educate and engage students in environmental awareness and sustainable projects while lowering Ipswich's environmental impact. Our mission is to work together to further a shared interest in educating Ipswich school children about nutrition, making healthy choices and making connections between food, farm & community. We meet once a month and have worked on projects such as getting local apples served in the cafeterias to eliminating Styrofoam trays and products to composting in the cafeterias. We’re always looking for new members and we’re very flexible with how one chooses to volunteer their time.
Did you know:
- The schools are kept clean and free from harsh chemicals with the use of environmentally friendly cleaning products
- Efficiency bulbs are used throughout the buildings
- Recycling in the cafeterias has reduced the number of filled garbage bags by more than half each day
- Dumping the classroom recycling bin has become part of each class’s ‘job list’ and instills a sense of pride in each child
Help educate your children to become stewards of their environment:
- Send in only green supplies to teachers (no bleach products)
- Try to eliminate using individual water bottles for parties
- Use reusable Snack-taxis or Tupperware instead of Ziploc
- Send a reusable water bottle for lunch and snack time
- Limit individually wrapped items - buy in bulk (it also saves money)
Join the FRIES Doyon Group on Facebook to keep up to date on FRIES events